Monday, April 12, 2010

Inspired by Judith Larzelere

Quilt artist Judith Larzelere has delighted and amazed countless quilters with her stunning use of color since she began exhibiting her quilts in the late 1970s. After reading the profile article on “Jude” (as she likes to be called) in the January 2010 issue of American Quilter, Mary F. Gonzalez was inspired to make her own strip-pieced wall quilt:


“I began quilting in 2001 after taking one class. I fumbled around by myself, learning from my mistakes. In 2006, my husband and I moved to Santa Cruz, California, after living 26 years in Novato, California, where we raised our family. Leaving our friends was difficult, and we wondered if we would ever find new friends in our new home. Luckily we did. I continued quilting on my own and eventually met a group of ladies who shared my interest. We formed a small quilt group which quickly grew to 15 members—we are known as the Sew ‘n Sews.
At our weekly meetings, these ladies offer encouragement, advice, fabrics, patterns, ideas, refreshments, and best of all, laughter. At a recent meeting, someone brought quilt magazines. That’s when I found the January 2010 issue of American Quilter.
As soon as I turned to page 45 and saw the article and art quilts by Judith Larzelere, my heart started racing. I had recently completed a quilt for my son and had lots of scraps leftover. When I saw Judith’s quilts, I went home, read the article thoroughly, and went to work.
Enclosed is a photograph of the wallhanging (called City Skyline) I made for my son using the article as my inspiration. He just loves it, as do those encouraging Sew ‘n Sews. Thank you!”

AQS members can access the complete article and Judith's Tips for Strip Quilting at www.AmericanQuilter.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment